In American history, The American Gold Buffalo pays homage to one of the most celebrated coins in the country. Launched in 2006, the American Gold Buffalo is one of the annual bullion products from the United States Mint. The coin depicts the design of the Indian Head Nickel and has acquired its nickname from the American Bison on the coin’s reverse.
Notice that the U.S. Mint does not directly sell its bullion coins to the public. Instead, they distribute their coins to reliable and authorized purchasers, who then sell them to individual collectors.
Today, the 2022 1 oz American Proof Gold Buffalo is available online from hollywoodgoldexchange.com.
- Each coin contains 1 oz of .9999 pure Gold.
- Shows a W mint mark from the West Point Mint.
- 17th issue of Proof American Gold Buffalo Coins.
- The obverse (front) of the coin features the visage of a right-facing Native American Indian with a braid and feather in his hair (engraver: James Earle Fraser).
- The reverse (back) of the coin depicts Black Diamond, an American Bison, standing on a mound of dirt. Black Diamond was massive, the largest American buffalo that lived in Central Park Zoo, New York City, in the 1900s (engraver: James Earle Fraser).
- Introduced by the U.S. Mint in 2006.
American Gold Buffalo History and Design
The Gold Buffalo coin has been met with great success. Since 2006, over 2.1 million Gold Buffalo Bullion coins have been minted. The American Buffalo Gold Coin’s obverse and reverse designs feature images by noted American sculptor James Earle Fraser, once a student of Augustus Saint-Gaudens. The design showcases the native beauty of the American West. This unique bullion represents a beautiful work of art and a meaningful piece of history.